Oktra have completed extensive renovation works at One Portsoken, an iconic brutalist building at the edge of the City of London.
Oktra are proud to announce the finished renovation of One Portsoken, the largest project of its kind in UK design and build history. This project has redefined the boundaries of office design and build, with our teams gutting the nine-storey building before filling what was once one of the largest atriums in Europe. The result is a 20% increase in premium lettable space without the need to build any extra floors.
The refurbishment includes a full restoration of One Portsoken’s original design elements in order to preserve the building’s history as a shining example of Brutalist architecture, with all modern finishes kept neutral to better compliment the design. Standout elements include circular turrets, exposed concrete and steel beams, and a stunning naturally lit space on the top floor, featuring amazing views of the city through the atrium’s original glass roof.
Monika Passey, Lead Designer for One Portsoken and finalist for Best Woman in Architecture in this year’s WICE Awards, says ‘I had always walked past the old Lloyd’s building and admired its brutalist style, so when the opportunity came to work on its regeneration, I couldn’t have been more delighted. The project has had its challenges, but equally that’s part of what has made it so exciting. As we come to the end of three years at One Portsoken, it makes me immensely proud to see the design and the client’s vision coming together.’
“It’s a ground-breaking project for Oktra and for the London design and build market. It’s a great thing to be involved in.”
Craig Smith, Chief Development Officer
Within easy reach and access of London’s financial sector and creative industries, the new One Portsoken features a lively public ground floor and landscaped open space, boasting various public amenities including cafés, restaurants, a flower shop, a bicycle repair shop, medical practice and coworking offering.
One Portsoken Street is in the process of achieving a ‘Very Good’ rating from BREEAM, the world’s leading sustainability assessment method. 100% of site waste was diverted from landfill; 99.35% of waste was recycled, while the other 0.65% was incinerated to produce energy. These recycling efforts reduced the project’s carbon emissions by 73%.
Floorplate sizes range from 10,000 to 30,000 sq ft and are designed to accommodate up to three separate tenants. The building features impressive ceiling heights ranging from 3-10 metres and improved destination control with nine new lifts and a striking lobby space with a two-and-a-half-storey atrium. Oktra are working with global property brands Colliers International, Compton, Cushman & Wakefield and Noble Harris LLP to let the space.
Sign up to our newsletter to keep up to date with all the latest developments in design and build.